Halloween Masks: Easy Halloween Crafts
The festival of Halloween is celebrated on the 31st of October every year and is regarded as one of the biggest secular festivals all over the world. However, there is a close connection of the festival with an ancient Celtic festival, known as Samhain, from where Halloween is said to have originated. It was a popular belief amongst the ancient Celts that on the occasion of Samhain (i.e. on the October 31st), the bridge between the living and the dead is narrowed and the deceased become a threat for the living, causing widespread damage of property and crops. Hence, to pacify and placate them, the festival was observed by burning bonfires, wearing costumes and masks, etc.
With time, Halloween activities have also undergone some change. Some of the popular activities include trick-or-treating, costume parties, watching horror movies, visiting haunted attractions, wearing costumes and reading ghost stories. An instant way to get into the true spirit of the season and have some Halloween fun is by wearing different types of spooky masks and veils. They come in different shapes and sizes, ranging from your favorite horror figures and witches to green ogres, goblins and werewolves. In recent times, masks of popular sci-fi creatures like predators, species and terminator are also found which gives a new-age touch to the festival.
During Halloween, scary masks are easily available in local gift shops and stores. They come in various ranges and are a hot favorite amongst kids and youngsters. However, if you are planning to be a little creative this year, why not make your own Halloween mask, from some simple and easily available materials. You don’t even have to spend loads of cash and that too for something that will be worn probably once. Want to know more? Check on the lines below and get some easy and amazing ideas to craft creepy and spine chilling Halloween masks this year.
Homemade Halloween Mask
With the steps given below, know how to make a Halloween mask at home.
- First of all, decide on a pattern for the Halloween mask. This can be anything, right from a witch, a pumpkin to black cats, skull or a pirate. For the purpose, you can visit different websites, select the patterns and download them, after enlarging them to the desired size.
- The size for the mask can be measured with the help of a ruler, finding out the width of the head from temple to temple.
- While downloading and printing the patterns on a piece of craft paper, make sure that the eyes are in the correct place.
- Once the size and the location of the eyes are adjusted properly, you can take out a color copy of the image with the help of the printer. This being done; cut around the mask carefully, with the help of scissors. Certain types of masks require special attention at the time of cutting. For instance, you should be careful while cutting the whiskers, in case you are using a cat mask.
- Cutting the eyes can sometimes be a painful task. Hence, instead of scissors, you can make use of a craft knife.
- In case you are good at drawing, you can also draw your own Halloween figures and paint them with different color combinations. The common colors used during the festival are black, red, brown and grey. These colors give a scary touch to the figures being painted.
- Once the complete structure of the mask has been outlined and the eyes are made, punch a hole on either side of the mask, for attaching the strings. While adding the strings, be very careful not to pull too hard. This can lead to the tearing of the mask. Now, the mask is ready to be worn. Secure it carefully to the face, using the elastic strings.