World No Tobacco Day was first introduced by the World Health Organization to be celebrated as a most recognized event all over the world in order to make people easily get aware of all the problems and health complications occurred by the tobacco chewing / Gutka or smoking to prevent all the health hazards to make the whole world free of tobacco and healthy world of people.
World No Tobacco Day: Date
Various other health related events are also organized by the WHO such as AIDS Day, Mental Health Day, Blood Donor Day, Cancer Day and etc to make world free of diseases and its complications. All the events are organized and being celebrated throughout the world very significantly. It was first celebrated on 7th of April in the year 1988 at 40th WHO Anniversary and later it was declared to be celebrated as No Tobacco Day on 31st of May every year. It was created as No Tobacco Day in the year 1987 by the member states of WHO.
It is celebrated intending to aware and encourage people to reduce or completely stop the tobacco consumption in any form all across the globe. The day celebration aims to draw public attention globally to spread the message of harmful effects of tobacco use as well as its complications to others. Variety of global organizations involved in this campaign such as state governments, public health organizations and etc organizes various public awareness programmes locally.
Nicotine addiction is very bad for the health which is lethal and known as brain “wanting” disease which can never be cured however can be fully arrested. It binds the brain dopamine pathways just like other illegal drugs, meth, alcohol, heroin and etc. It prepares the brain to send false message about the need of nicotine to the body as necessary as other survival activities like eating and drinking food and liquids.
Varieties of nicotine addiction quitting method are provided by the health organizations to help the ex-users on the earth to prevent their lives. WHO has banned the promotion, advertisement and sponsorship of the tobacco or its products while celebrating the No Tobacco Day of 2008 and through the campaign message of “Tobacco-free youth”.
World No Tobacco Day: Themes
For effectively celebrating this day all over the world, WHO selects a special theme every year as central component in order to distribute a global message to the people for more awareness. Other publicity materials for the theme like brochures, posters, fliers, press releases, websites and etc are also provided by the WHO to the members organizing the celebration of World no Tobacco Day. Year wise themes from 1987 to the 2014 are listed below:
- 1987: 1st Smoke-free Olympics (1988 Olympic Winter Games – Calgary)
- 1988: Tobacco or Health: choose health
- 1989: Women and tobacco: the female smoker: at added risk
- 1990: Childhood and youth without tobacco: growing up without tobacco
- 1991: Public places and transport: better be tobacco free
- 1992: Tobacco free workplaces: safer and healthier
- 1993: Health services: our windows to a tobacco free world
- 1994: Media and tobacco: get the message across
- 1995: Tobacco costs more than you think
- 1997: United for a tobacco free world
- 1996: Sport and art without tobacco: play it tobacco free
- 1998: Growing up without tobacco
- 1999: Leave the pack behind
- 2000: Tobacco kills, don’t be duped
- 2001: Second-hand smoke kills
- 2002: Tobacco free sports
- 2003: Tobacco free film, tobacco free fashion
- 2004: Tobacco and poverty, a vicious circle
- 2005: Health professionals against tobacco
- 2006: Tobacco: deadly in any form or disguise
- 2007: Smoke free inside
- 2008: Tobacco-free youth
- 2009: Tobacco health warnings
- 2010: Gender and tobacco with an emphasis on marketing to women
- 2011: The WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control
- 2012: Tobacco industry interference
- 2013: Ban tobacco advertising, promotion and sponsorship
- 2014: Raise taxes on tobacco
- 2015: Stop illicit trade of tobacco products
- 2016: Get ready for plain packaging
- 2017: Tobacco – a threat to development
- 2018: Tobacco and heart disease (It will focus on the cardiovascular health)
- 2019: Tobacco and Lung Health (which will focus on the dangers of tobacco on lungs which leads to cancer and chronic respiratory diseases)
- 2020: Protecting youth from industry manipulation and preventing them from tobacco and nicotine use
- 2021: Quitting smoking doesn’t have to be stressful
- World No Tobacco Day
- World No Tobacco Day Greetings
- World No Tobacco Day Facebook Covers
- Famous English Quotes on Tobacco
- Famous English Quotes on Smoking
- तम्बाकू पर उद्धरण Tobacco Quotes in Hindi
- How is World No Tobacco Day celebrated?
- Tobacco Trivia – World No Smoking Day Quiz
- World No Tobacco Day – Tobacco Quiz
- World No Tobacco Day – India No. 1 in Smokeless Tobacco deaths
- Where does tobacco come from?
- What are themes for World No Tobacco Day?
- What steps are taken by the WHO on World No Tobacco Day?
- Why is World No Tobacco Day Celebrated and its History?