What is Zakat ul-Fitr?
“One must donate all the food one has in surplus after Ramzan and before Eid prayer, this is what Zakat al-Fitr means for a Muslim,” according to Maulana Shakir Ali. Zakat in Arabic and charity in English almost mean the same. Zakat al-Fitr as a phrase means Charity before Eid or celebration.
Sunnah of Eid
- Wake up early.
- Prepare for personal cleanliness, take care of details of clothing, etc.
- Take a Ghusl (bath) after Fajr.
- Brush your teeth.
- Dress up, putting on best clothes available, whether new or cleaned old ones.
- Use perfume (men only).
- Have breakfast on Eid-al-Fitr before leaving for prayer ground. On Eid-al-Adha, eat breakfast after Salaat or after sacrifice if you are doing a sacrifice.
- Pay Zakaat-al-Fitr before Salaat-al-Eid (on Eid-al-Fitr).
- Go to prayer ground early.
- Offer Salaat-al-Eid in congregation in an open place except when whether is not permitting like rain, snow, etc.
- Use two separate route to and from the prayer ground.
- Recite the following Takbir on the way to Salaat and until the beginning of Salaat-al-Eid:
Allaho-Akber, Allaho-Akber. La ila-ha ill-lal-lah. Allaho-Akber, Allaho-Akber. Wa-lilahill hamd.
(Allah is great, Allah is great. There is no god but Allah. Allah is great, Allah is great. And all praises are for Allah).
What are the Sunnah of Eid?
- Take Ghusl (bath) before the Eid Salah (Eid prayer).
- Putting on Attar (perfume).
- Takbeer ul-Eid should be recited softly on Eid ul-Fitr.Eid Takbeer is: ‘Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar. La Ilaaha Illallahu Wallahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar wa Lillahil Hamd’.
- Congratulating each other ‘Eid Mubarak’.
- Routes to salah al- Eid (the route opted for going and returning from namaz must be different.)
- Eat before prayer.
- Perform salah al-Eid (special eid prayer).