Influenza — Influenza or more popularly known as flu is a highly contagious disease. It is caused due to infection from influenza viruses. Flu generally affects the like nose, ear, eyes, throat and lungs spreading to the lungs and the bronchi. Striking suddenly, influenza has the capability to spread like an epidemic engulfing a large portion of the population. Chills, fever, headache and severe muscular pains are the starting symptoms of influenza. Some of the causes of influenza are viral infection, unhealthy lifestyle, tension and stress, excessive workload, lack of proper exercise, living in stuffy rooms and staying awake up till late hours. There is no proper medication for flu. Nonetheless, it can be treated using natural remedies. Read onto know how to cure influenza at home.
Home Remedy For Influenza
- The best remedy to cure influenza would be to have plenty of fluids. Do not let the body get dehydrated as liquids thin all the nasal secretion.
- Dip a cloth with cold water and apply it on the forehead. This would be effective in curing influenza.
- In a cup of boiling water add, 1 tsp bayberry bark, 1 tsp grated ginger root and Â½ tsp cayenne powder. Allow it to sit for about 20 minutes before drinking. This is an effective way to cure influenza.
- Increase in the consumption of foods rich in vitamin C. this is because it gives a boost to the immune system and increases the white blood cells.
- Include garlic in the diet. Eat raw garlic empty stomach in the morning.
- A simple way to get relieved from flu would be to have bath in tub to lukewarm water.
- Ginger tea is helpful in curing flu. Prepare a tea by adding 2-3 slices of ginger.
- Alternatively, instead of ginger, garlic can also be used. Make tea using 2-3 cloves of garlic.
- Combine Â½ tsp of powdered long pepper, two teaspoons of honey and Â½ tsp of ginger juice. Have this combination three times a day.
- In a cup of warm milk, add a tsp of turmeric. Intake such milk, thrice a day. Not only would it prevent complications arising from influenza, it would also activate the liver.
- Mix equal amounts of onion juice and honey. Consume 3 to 4 tsp of this mixture everyday.
- Prepare fenugreek decoction by boiling one tablespoon of fenugreek seeds in Â½ liter of water, till it is reduced to 1/3rd. In a cup of this fenugreek decoction, add a tsp of fresh ginger juice and honey to flavor. Intake this mixture.
- Intake grapefruit juice as it helps in treating influenza.
- In Â½ liter of water, add one gram of holy basil leaves along with some ginger. Boil this decoction until only Â½ the mixture is left. Have this decoction as tea.
- Warm some water and mix a few drops of lemon and some honey. This is a good mixture to loosen phlegm.
- For the non-vegetarians, consume chicken soup as it is useful in treating influenza.