Halitosis — Halitosis, or more popularly known as bad breath, is a condition when an unpleasant odor emits out from the oral cavity of a person. It has become a very common ailment. The origin of the bad breath is mainly from the mouth but at times non oral parts such as upper and lower respiratory tracts, the gastrointestinal tract, and some diseases involving the kidneys may also be the reason. The major causes for halitosis are Poor dental hygiene, tooth infections, smoking, diabetes, hiatus hernia, etc. The remnants of food deposits settling in the tongue or mouth also give scope for the growth and breeding of bacteria. Apart from being destructive for the mouth, it is also a social embarrassment and needs to be treated. In the following lines, we provide the natural ways or the home remedies to cure halitosis.
Home Remedy For Halitosis
- The simplest and the most effective home remedy to cure halitosis would be to take fenugreek tea. Make a tea using fenugreek seeds. Intake this tea regularly.
- Chewing raw green guava is helpful in curing bad breath. It would serve very helpful in treating halitosis.
- In 2 cups of water, add several sprigs of coarsely chopped parsley so that it steeps in water. Add 2 to 3 whole cloves or a tsp of powdered cloves. Strain this mixture and use it as a mouth wash.
- Cardamoms can be used as a mouth freshner and helps in treating halitosis. Chew cardamom after meals and in between the long intervals. This would surely cure a person from bad breath.
- Deep breaths are helpful in curing halitosis. Perform pranayam at least half an hour every day.
- Include a lot of vegetables and fruits in the regular diet. This would act beneficially in solving the problem of halitosis.
- Rinsing the mouth with baking soda helps in solving the problem of halitosis. Mix baking soda in a cup of water. Gargle with this water.
- Squeeze a lemon and add a little honey to it. Have this mixture two times a day both, in the morning and evening. This would be useful in treating bad breath problem.
- Add 2 to 3 drops of oil of oregano in the drinking water. this would help solve the problem of halitosis.
- Chewing mint leaves is also beneficial in curing a person who is suffering from bad breath or halitosis.
- Choose a mouth wash which contains eucalyptol and thymol. Derived from eucalyptus and thyme respectively, these proved worthwhile in destroying bad breath.
- Increase in the intake of foods rich in vitamins C and E. These help in reducing the bad breath.
- It is advisable that people suffering from bad breath should brush their teeth immediately after consuming food rich in sulfur.
- It is very important to have a well balanced diet. Have foods that consist of seeds, nuts, vegetables, grains and fruits.