Bheja Fry Recipe – How To Make Bheja Fry
Bheja fry is a traditional specialty prepared on special occasions. Learn the recipe for how to make brain masala.
The sacred festival of Bakra Eid is celebrated to mark the strong faith of the Muslim people in God. It also commemorates the completion of the Hajj pilgrimage offered in Mecca. Domestic animals are slaughtered and distributed to the needy, family and friends. Celebrated across three days, special traditional delicacies and sweets are prepared on this holy festival. Bheja fry or brain masala is one such popular and mouth-watering dish cooked on this day. While slaughtering, the brain of the animal so slaughtered is removed and cooked to make a delicious preparation known as bheja fry. To know how to make bheja fry, go through the lines below to find the recipe.
How To Make Bheja Fry
- 2 Cow Brains / 4 Sheep Brains
- 4 medium Onion (peeled & finely chopped)
- 4 Green Chilies (chopped)
- 2 Lemons
- ½ tbsp Red Chili Powder
- 1½ tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- Salt (to taste)
- 1 tsp Ginger Paste
- 1 tsp Garlic Paste
- ½ cup plain Yogurt
- 1 cup Cooking Oil
- 1 small piece Ginger (finely chopped lengthways)
- A bunch of Fresh Coriander / Cilantro Leaves (chopped)
- Wash the brain thoroughly and boil them in water.
- Remove the brains from the water and carefully remove any membrane or nerves.
- Chop the brains into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a stockpot and add onions.
- Sauté the onions till they turn golden brown.
- Remove half the onions and keep them aside.
- Add green chilies, red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala, salt, ginger paste, garlic paste and yogurt. Stir well and fry for about 10 minutes, adding a little water if required.
- Add the brains and shake the pan gently to mix the brains with the spice mixture. Avoid stirring with a spoon.
- When the oil separates from the spice masala, add chopped coriander, lemon juice, ginger and remaining brown onion set aside.
- Serve hot with roti or naan.