In 2019, it was celebrated with the theme of ‘Empowering Girls for a Brighter Tomorrow‘.
- It is celebrated as a national observance to increase the consciousness of the people and offer new opportunities to the girl child in the society.
- To remove all the inequalities faced by the girl children of the Indian society.
- To make certain that every girl child is getting proper respect and value in the Indian society.
- To ensure that the girl children are getting all the human rights in the country.
- To work against diminishing the child sex ratio in India and change the people’s minds about the girl child.
- To initiate a couple towards the girl child by increasing awareness about the importance and role of the girl child.
- To address the girl children’s issues associated with their health, respect, education, nutrition and etc.
- To propagate gender equality among people in India.
National Girl Child Day: Themes
- 2017: “Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao (BBBP)”.
- 2018: “A girl is a flower, not a thorn…”.
- 2019: “Empowering Girls for a Brighter Tomorrow”.
- 2020: Not Available
- 2021: Not Available
National Girl Child Day was first initiated in 2008 by the Ministry of Women and Child Development. The main objective behind it is to highlight the inequalities faced by girls, to promote awareness including the rights of a girl child, importance of education, health and nutrition. Nowadays also gender discrimination is a major problem that girls or women face throughout their life.
Rights of National Girl Child in India
Various schemes are mentioned by the Government of India to make the living status of girl child better. Some of the schemes are as follows:
- Determination of sex in the clinics during pregnancy has been blocked by the government.
- Child marriages of the girls are restricted now.
- To save girl child a scheme namely “Save the Girl Child” has been introduced by the government.
- Free and compulsory education for both boys and girls till 14 years of age has improved the education of girl child.
- To fight with malnutrition, high illiteracy, poverty and infant mortality in the society, antenatal care has been made necessary for all the pregnant women.
- Many Laws are made by the Government like Anti-Sati, Anti-MTP to make women get employment and status to the Women.
How National Girl Child Day is celebrated?
Various events are organised all across the country to celebrate girl child day to promote education, position, equal status etc. in the society. Also, Government of India organizes several campaigns to increase the consciousness among the people regarding girl children in the Indian society. Through this campaign, the Government of India highlights the inequalities and problems related to the girl child. Several advertisements are run by the government on TV channels, local newspapers and radio stations by giving the message “Save the Girl Child“. Even NGO or non- government organisations take part in the celebration and spread awareness among the society to treat girl child equal and educate them etc.
Therefore, every Child in the country may be boy or girl is important and said to be the future of the Country. Girl should be treated equally and should get all the opportunities in our society for the welfare of the Nation as a whole.
- “Don’t kill Girl in Womb when she might bring Country to Gloom”
- “Don’t let their lives End before it even Begins”
Wishes and Greetings:
- One of the best blessings I’ve at any point gotten is my little girl. Happy Day of Girls
- On the occasion of National Day of the Girls Child, let us recognize the rights of girls and also the problems they face around the globe to give them a better life, a better future
- National Day of the Girls Child reminds us that it is our responsibility to give them the importance they deserve and work together for their happier lives
- It has been a long the girl child has been discriminated against. It has been a long that they have been suffering. Let us get their honor back and make it a Happy National Day of the Girls Child
- The world will be a better place to live the day the girl child is as happy as the other gender… Let us work in synergy to make this dream come true. Happy National Day of the Girls Child
- Girl Child is the sweetest blessing and most beautiful creation of God. Happy Day of Girls
- Don’t think they are inferior because, in reality, they are superior. Happy National Day of the Girls Child