About National Nutrition Week
National Nutrition Week is celebrated each year from 1st September to the 7th September to aware the people about important tips of their health and well-being. Through the national nutrition week campaign people from all over the world can be educated to maintain their look and feel better.
People can be aware of their food groups and balanced diet from which they can get good nutritious things. A healthy should include the whole grains, fruits, vegetables, fat-free milk or milk products, meats, fish, nuts, seeds and etc.
The objective of the National Nutrition Week is to enhance the nutritional practice awareness among people of the community through the adoptable training, timely education, seminars, different competitions, road shows and many other campaigns and to make a healthy Nation.
The one week campaign involves one day training, preparing the nutritious food with the healthy stuff, an exhibition by the students of Home Science, comment on wheat and soyabeen to let them known about nutritious value, various competitions, nutrition lecture to Mothers, road shows and seminars.
The National Nutrition Week campaign has a Nutrition Week Kit which is filled with the resources to aid the family to prepare healthy food. The campaign includes the World Food Day and also added the Nude Food Day since 2010.
According to the reports it is noted that people has started the utilization of sugary drinks which is the reason to increase the weight gain and fatness in adolescents. The Department of Food Science and Nutrition Management has established a one day occasion for people to state the Nutrition awareness at 8th of September in the year 2010. The campaign includes poster competition, a cooking contest for Healthy heart food, counseling for diet, measuring the BMI, lecture on diseases and prevention of the Heart and many more.
National Nutrition Week
Like the preceding year, this year also, the National Nutrition Week was observed from Sunday, 1st September 2021 to Tuesday, 7th September 2021.
On the start of National Nutrition Week, the Ministry of Health under the Government of India had started making people aware on nutrition and its several health benefits through several social and print media campaigns.
Krishna Institute of Medical Sciences (KIMS), Secunderabad, had organized an awareness program for the general public to make them aware of the nutritional requirements of infants and toddlers.
Visitors were told about the ingredients like oats, fruits, vegetables etc and their advantages also how to make them presentable for kids.
National Nutrition Week: History
The campaign was first started by the central government in the year 1982 in order to encourage the good health and healthy living through the nutrition education as the malnutrition is the main obstruction to the National Development. To encourage the people for the same, the Food and Nutrition Board including 43 units (departments of women and child development, health and NGOs) is working all over the country to maneuver the activities.
Lactating mothers are greatly encouraged to feed their newborn baby the first milk known as the colostrums and mother milk for 6 months to provide the newborns a great level of immunity and healthy living. The Indian Dietetic Association from Bangalore has decided to conduct an awareness program for Nutrition and Diet at Bhagwan Mahaveer Jain Hospital, Millers Road, Bangalore where the diet for Heart Disease, Diabetes, Children and Women will also be covered.
What is Malnutrition?
Malnutrition is a physical state of an unbalanced nutrition level due to under-nutrition or over-nutrition. Under-nutrition can be caused due to a lack of calories, protein or other nutrients while eating too many calories caused over-nutrition.
Malnutrition can lead to stunted growth, developmental delays, and more sickness due to poor immune function. So, it is important that malnutrition is diagnosed in a timely manner.
To overcome the problem of malnutrition, a balanced diet and proper knowledge about nutrition can play an important role in our day to day life.
Why nutrition is Important?
Nutrition is the science or practice of consuming and utilizing foods. Food provides our body with energy, protein, essential fats, vitamins, and minerals to live, grow, and function properly. Therefore, a balanced diet is important for good health and well being. It is said that an unhealthy diet increases the risk of many diet-related diseases. People should include a healthy diet in their daily routine like whole grains, fruits, vegetables, fat-free milk, etc. full of nutrition which not only helps in growth but also make the immune system strong.
National Nutrition Week: Activities
- Through the whole week celebration of the National Nutrition Week people are promoted by various nutritional education and training programs.
- Mass nutrition awareness campaigns are run by the governmental and nongovernmental health organizations.
- People are motivated through the distribution of nutrition related educational and training materials.
- People are given proper training for the preservation of nutritious materials like fruits, vegetables and other foods at home.
- Proper training is given to the people about food analysis and standardization.
- Various other National Nutrition Policies are run by the government in order to achieve the goal of National Nutrition Week celebration.
- To review the frequency of problems to various diet and nutrition in the communities.
- To evaluate the appropriate techniques to prevent and control the nutritional problems through deep research.
- To monitor the condition of the country for the diet and nutrition.
- To perform the operational research in order to plan and implement the national nutrition programs.
- To aware people through the orientation training about health and nutrition.
- 2011: Feeding smart from the start
- 2012: Nutrition Awareness – Key to Healthy Nation
- 2013: Project Dinnertime – Cook. Eat. Enjoy
- 2014: Poshak Aahar Desh ka Aadhar
- 2015: Better Nutrition: Key to Development
- 2016: Life cycle approach for better Nutrition
- 2017: Optimal Infant & Young Child Feeding Practices: Better Child Health
- 2018: Go Further with Food
- 2021: Eat Right, Bite by Bite
Diet & Nutrition Related Quotes:
- Diet is the essential key to all successful healing. Without a proper balanced diet, the effectiveness of herbal treatment is very limited. ~ Michael Tierra
- Good nutrition will prevent 95 percent of all diseases. ~ Linus Pauling
- To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art. ~ Francois de la Rochefoucauld
- Water is the most neglected nutrient in your diet, but one of the most vital. ~ Julia Child
- Diet is the essential key to all successful healing. ~ Joseph Raynauld Raymond
- Take care of your body. It’s the only place you have to live. ~ Jim Rohn
- Nutrition is the only remedy that can bring full recovery and can be used with any treatment. Remember, food is our best medicine. ~ Bernard Jensen
- The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don’t want, drink what you don’t like, and do what you’d rather not. ~ Mark Twain
- Exercise is king, nutrition is Queen, put them together and you’ve got a kingdom. ~ Jack Lalanne
- When in doubt, use nutrition first. ~ Roger Williams