Malfunctioning of the thyroid gland in women leads to obesity and related problems. Besides consulting a doctor, you have to have a carefully planned diet. Special attention should be paid to a low calorie diet, which is rich in iodine, potassium and fibre.
Iodine makes up for thyroxine hormone imbalance, which leads to obesity. This imbalance also affects the menstrual cycle and can cause water retention.
Sources of Iodine
- Broccoli, brinjal, onions, cabbage, lettuce, radish, spinach, garlic, carrots, peas, and lotus roots.
- Banana, grapefruit, plum, pear, mango, peach, citrus fruits, water fruits (such as cucumber, papaya, watermelon and melon) and seafood, milk.
- Potassium is very effective for water retention, as it flushes the toxins out of the system and keeps the kidneys in good and healthy shape.
Sources of Potassium
- Radish, broccoli, tomato, cucumber, spinach, potato.
- Banana, coconut water, papaya, water melon, pomegranate, citrus fruits and grains like beans, barley, rajma and lobhia.
High-fibre foods play an important role in weight control. High-fibre foods make you feel full thereby taking care of the bouts of hunger.
Sources of high-fibre
Wheat bran, vegetables, fruits, chilka dals and legumes.
- Morning: Lime and honey in warm water.
- Breakfast: Steamed sprouts with one seasonal fruit and one glass of skimmed milk.
- Mid-morning: One glass of mixed vegetable juice – cucumber, carrot, tomato.
- Lunch: Wholewheat rotis with lightly cooked vegetables and whole dals/legumes.
- Evening: One fruit and coconut water.
- Pre-dinner: One bowl of salad or thin soup with shredded vegetables.
- Dinner: Wholewheat roti or boiled rice with vegetables and a light dal or fish or home made paneer.
Points to remember
- Drink 10-12 glasses of water everyday.
- Cut down on refined sugar and avoid sweets.
- Avoid fizzy drinks and foodstuff prepared from processed flour (maida) such as pasta, noodles, cakes, pizzas, white bread, and fried food and snacks.
- Fast once a week. Have only juices, soup, fruits and curd.
- Restrict your daily consumption of oil to two teaspoons.
- Quit alcohol, smoking and excess consumption of tea and coffee.
- Keep regular meal times.
- Do not eat when you are angry, upset or not hungry.
- Have only fruits as in-betweens.
- Eat legumes only at lunch and add garlic and ginger to facilitate easy digestion.
- Make sure that your dinner is light compared to lunch. Go to bed after atleast a couple of hours after dinner.
- Do not skip any meals.