World Kidney Day History
World Kidney Day is a global health campaign celebrated every year all across the world focusing the health and importance of the major body organ, kidneys to reduce the occurrence of kidney diseases as well as related health problems. It is commemorated worldwide on annual basis on the 2nd Thursday of March. It was started celebrating in the year 2006 by the 66 countries which were increased to become 88 countries in just 2 years.
The celebration was initiated by the joint committee of “International Society of Nephrology and International Federation of Kidney Foundations”. It is commemorated every year by the health organizations on global basis to raise awareness among common people that most of the kidney diseases are preventable and curable. Health organizations organize this campaign at many places to spread messages about kidney diseases, complications and its prevention and cure all across the countries.
Why do we celebrate World Kidney Day / Objectives of World Kidney Day
World kidney day is celebrated all over the world on second of Thursday in the month of March in order to raise the public awareness about the kidneys importance and its contributions to the overall health. It is celebrated to make the common public aware about the diseases and problems of the kidneys in order to reduce the occurrence of kidney diseases as well as all the associated health problems of the kidneys. Some of the objectives of celebrating the world kidney day are mentioned below:
- It is celebrated to highlight the kidney problems related to the common health disorders like diabetes, high blood pressure which may lead to the Chronic Kidney Diseases.
- It is celebrated to encourage the common public through the systematic screening of all patients having problems like diabetes or hypertension.
- It is celebrated to motivate and promote the common public for the better prevention by describing them all aspects of the prevention measures in order to get prevented from such kidney problems.
- It is celebrated to instruct the medical professionals about all aspects of the kidneys as well as teaching them to play their key role in the detection and prevention of kidneys problems among the people of high risk populations.
- It is celebrated to get together of all the medical professionals from the local and national health authorities in order to control the spread of Chronic Kidney Diseases.
- It is celebrated to deal with the high risk problems as well as implement the new strategies by motivating all the governments’ authorities.
- It is celebrated to encourage the people about the kidneys donation and transplantation as a best option of life saving for getting free from the kidney failure or other Chronic Kidney Diseases.
- It is celebrated to encourage the people for the early detection and prevention methods of the kidney problems to reduce the future complications and deaths and disability from the chronic renal and cardiovascular failure.