June 21 was declared as the International Day of Yoga by the United Nations General Assembly on December 11, 2014. Yoga, a 6,000 year-old physical, mental and spiritual practice having its origin in India, aims to transform the body and the mind.
Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi declared that there will be an official website mea.gov.in/idy.htm for this, and it will be maintained by the Ministry of External Affairs of Govt. of India.
The declaration of this day came after the call for the adoption of 21 June as International Day of Yoga by PM Narendra Modi during his address to UN General Assembly on September 27, 2014 wherein he stated:
“Yoga is an invaluable gift of India’s ancient tradition. It embodies unity of mind and body; thought and action; restraint and fulfilment; harmony between man and nature; a holistic approach to health and well-being. It is not about exercise but to discover the sense of oneness within yourself, the world and the nature. By changing our lifestyle and creating consciousness, it can help us deal with climate change. Let us work towards adopting an International Yoga Day.”
Narendra Modi further stated that “Yoga embodies unity of mind and body; thought and action; restraint and fulfilment; harmony between man and nature; a holistic approach to health and well being.” In suggesting June 21, which is the Summer Solstice, as the International Day of Yoga, Narendra Modi had said that the date is the longest day of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and has special significance in many parts of the world.
From the perspective of yoga, the Summer Solstice marks the transition to Dakshinayana. The first full moon after Summer Solstice is known as Guru Poornima. According to Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev, in the yogic lore, the first transmission of yoga by Shiva, the first Guru, is said to have begun on this day. Dakshinayana is also considered a time when there is natural support for those pursuing spiritual practices. Govind Gurbani Yog Guru / Vice President of Rajasthan Swasthya Yog Parisad Jaipur India informed that on 21 June fifty thousand followers of Yoga will perform Yoga in Rajasthan.
- International Day of Yoga
- International Day of Yoga Greeting Cards
- International Day of Yoga Facebook Covers
- International Day of Yoga Images, Stock Photos
- योग पर अनमोल विचार
- Yoga Quotes in English
- Famous Yoga Slogans and Sayings
- Yoga Slogans in Hindi योग पर नारे
- Yoga – Category
- International Yoga Week: 1 – 7 March
- What are the Objectives of International Yoga Day?
- How to celebrate International Yoga Day?
- What is the History of International Yoga Day?
- Embrace yoga to age gracefully – June 21 is International Yoga Day
- Why 21 June was chosen as International Yoga Day?
- Yoga benefits are multifold – Says Sri Sri Ravi Shankar