Lebanon, officially known as the ‘Republic of Lebanon’, is a country that is located on the eastern shore of the Mediterranean Sea. It is bordered by Israel to the south and Syria to the north and the east. Lebanon as a country is blessed with its very own cultural identity, ethnic diversity and religious miscellany. Prior to the breaking out of the Lebanese civil war that afflicted the country with its venom, Lebanon was comparatively a prosperous nation. Lebanon in fact, because of the financial power and diversity that it enjoyed was known as the ‘Switzerland of the East’. Beirut, the pride of Lebanon, was often referred to as the ‘Paris of the Middle East’. All this however changed with the outbreak of the war. Lebanon as a country though is slowly but steadily crawling back to the period of prosperity that it once enjoyed. Tourists too in recent times have started to make a beeline to visit the country known for its food and Biblical significance. Read on to appease your geographical and political cravings with a few handpicked facts on the country that the world knows and loves as Lebanon.
Interesting & Fun Facts About Lebanon
• The country of Lebanon is situated between the countries of Syria and Israel, bordering the Mediterranean Sea.
Lebanon, in terms of geographical area occupied, is a little larger than half the size of the American state of Connecticut.
• Arabic and French make for the official languages of the country of Lebanon. However, Armenian and English are commonly spoken throughout the length and breadth of the country.
• Lebanon experiences a Mediterranean climate. The winters are cool and wet, while the summers are dry and hot. The mountains in the country however experience heavy snowfall during winter.
• Did you know that the name ‘Lebanon’ appears 75 times in the Old Testament of the Bible?
• Lebanon is a country that is blessed with over forty-two universities with over seventy percent of its students getting the privilege to attend private schools. So, as far education goes, Lebanon can consider itself blessed.
• Did you know that Jesus Christ is believed to have performed his first miracle in Lebanon?
• Lebanon at the moment functions as a parliamentary republic. The country’s government is headed by President Michel Suleiman and Prime Minister Saad Hariri.
• The Lebanese pound makes for the official currency of the country of Lebanon. The American dollar however is accepted throughout the country and can even be obtained from the country’s ATMs.
• The Mediterranean Sea lays claim to being the lowest point (0m) in the country of Lebanon. However, the distinction of the highest point goes to ‘Qurnat as Sawda'. The peak stands tall at a towering height of 3, 088m.
• The name ‘Lebanon’ has been known to mankind for the past 4000 years. The country’s name in fact is the oldest name in the world today.
• Lebanon amongst its natives or citizens is known as “Al Jumhuriyah al Lubnaniyah”.
• Lebanon boasts of being the country with the most published books per capita. Also, the first law school in the world is believed to have been built in the country.
• The city of Beirut enjoys the distinction of being the capital city of Lebanon. Beirut also happens to be the largest city in the country.
• Lebanon is a country that is blessed with fifteen rivers. What is so wonderful about this fact is that the country’s fifteen rivers all flow down from its mountains.
• After French, English is the other language that is spoken most commonly across all regions in Lebanon.