• 1 cup red chana (whole red gram), soaked overnight
• 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
• 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
• 2 bay leaves
• 4 whole red chillies
• 1/8 teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
• 1 teaspoon ginger-green chilli paste
• 1 teaspoon chilli powder
• 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
• 1 cup curds (yoghurt)
• 2 teaspoons Bengal gram flour (besan)
• 4 tablespoons chopped coriander
• 1 tablespoon oil
• salt to taste
• Heat the oil in a pressure cooker, add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, bay leaves, red chilies and asafoetida. When the seeds crackle, add the red chana, ginger-green chilli paste, chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt with 2 cups of water.
• Pressure cook for 2 to 3 whistles till the channa is cooked.
• Whisk the curds and gram flour together and add the mixture to the cooked chana. Bring to a boil and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes. Stir this continuously till the mixture comes to a boil since the curds can split if they are not stirred.
• Serve hot garnished with the coriander.
• You can substitute the chana with lobhia bean (chawli).