An agricultural festival, Lohri is filled with merry-making. It is celebrated on the 13th of January every year to mark the culmination of winter. An extremely auspicious day, Lohri marks the entry of sun into the Northern Hemisphere. The main focus of Lohri is on the traditional food prepared on this day. Numerous delicacies prepared in the festival include sarson ka saag, makai ki roti and paneer masala. Apart from this, there is an extensive list of desserts which include gajak, chikkis, ladoos, etc. One such dessert is the coconut chikki that is prepared from dried coconut and ghee and includes two varieties of sugars namely, brown sugar and the original sugar. Enjoy this sweet dessert by preparing it with this simple recipe. A delicacy sure to be loved!
Recipe Of Coconut Chikki
• 400 gm Dry Coconut, grated
• 150 gm Brown Sugar
• 150 gm Sugar
• 2-3 tbsp Ghee
• In a pan, pour one tablespoon of ghee. Add the grated coconut and roast it.
• Remove and keep aside.
• Place brown sugar in a large frying pan and mix in sugar. Add a little water and let the mixture boil.
• When the mixture attains a chikki-like consistency, check it. Put a drop of the consistency in water. If gets hard, the mixture is done.
• Now, add in the coconut and mix well.
• Pour the preparation in a thali and cut into pieces using a cutter or a knife.
• Serve thereafter.