Vesak is celebrated once a year. The date of Vesak changes each year as it take places at the time of the first full moon of the ancient lunar month of Vesakha, which usually falls in May or early June.
Many Buddhists will go to their local temple and some might even stay there throughout the day and night of the full moon.
Many will do good deeds, take part in chanting and meditation, reflect on Buddhist teachings, bring offerings to the temple and share food with people.
Buddha Jayanti Quotes For Students And Children
- A jug fills drop by drop.
- All that we are is the result of what we have thought. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him.
- All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?
- An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind.
- Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.
- Chaos is inherent in all compounded things. Strive on with diligence.
- Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
- Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others. He who envies others does not obtain peace of mind.
- Even death is not to be feared by one who has lived wisely.
- Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.
- He who loves 50 people has 50 woes; he who loves no one has no woes.
- Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship.
- Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.
- However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them?
- I do not believe in a fate that falls on men however they act; but I do believe in a fate that falls on them unless they act.
- I never see what has been done; I only see what remains to be done.
- In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.
- In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true.
- It is a man’s own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
- It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.
- It is better to travel well than to arrive.
- Just as a candle cannot burn without fire, men cannot live without a spiritual life.
- Just as treasures are uncovered from the earth, so virtue appears from good deeds, and wisdom appears from a pure and peaceful mind. To walk safely through the maze of human life, one needs the light of wisdom and the guidance of virtue.
- No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.
- Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.
- The foot feels the foot when it feels the ground.
- The mind is everything. What you think you become.
- The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows.
- The tongue like a sharp knife… Kills without drawing blood.
- The virtues, like the Muses, are always seen in groups. A good principle was never found solitary in any breast.
- The way is not in the sky. The way is in the heart.
- The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.