ICOMOS (International Council for Monuments and Sites) organised a symposium in Tunisia on 18 April 1982 and it was suggested that a special day is to be celebrated all through the world in the name of “International Day for Monuments and Sites” on the same day every year.
The idea was also approved in UNESCO’s General Conference in November 1983. “International Monuments and Sites Day” has been traditionally called the World Heritage Day. The day celebrates the diversity of heritage throughout the world.
Different countries and regions celebrate heritage day at different times, as the Heritage Days in Europe are celebrated annually in September. The International Day for Monuments and Sites share the cause of protecting the endangered cultural heritage together with ICOMOS National Committees on that particular day.
World Heritage in India
India is one country that has been ruled by leaders from different religious and cultural backgrounds, like Aryans, Guptas, Mughals, Britishers etc. And all of them have left their marks on the Indian soil, in the form of monuments and sites, that are protected and resurrected till date. World heritage day has an important part to play in this colorful land, where you can find huge tombs sprawling over the land, towers that are so high that one can feel the sky and sites- so beautiful that keeps you mesmerized. India has all of it and to maintain these monuments and keep them alive for our upcoming generations, this day is celebrated to spread awareness among the visitors to protect these priceless monuments.
World Heritage Day Themes
- 2020: Shared Cultures, Shared Heritage, Shared Responsibility
- 2019: Rural Landscapes
- 2018: Heritage for Generations
- 2017: Cultural Heritage and Sustainable Tourism
- 2016: Heritage of Sports
- 2015: Heritage Culture: Preserving the Memory
- 2014: Heritage of Commemoration
- 2013: Heritage of Education
- 2012: World Heritage
- 2011: The Heritage of Water
- 2010: Agricultural Heritage
- 2009: Scientific Heritage
- 2008: Religious Heritage
- 2007: Cultural Landscapes and Monuments of Nature
- 2006: Industrial Heritage
- 2005: N/A 40th Anniversary of ICOMOS
- 2004: Earthen Architecture and Heritage
- 2003: Underwater Cultural Heritage
- 2002: 20th Century Heritage
- 2001: Save Our Historic Villages