On December 16, 1992, the United Nations General Assembly proclaimed in resolution 47/90 “the first Saturday of July 1995 to be International Day of Cooperatives, marking the centenary of the establishment of the International Cooperative Alliance.” Since 1995 the United Nations’ International Day of Co-operatives has been observed jointly alongside International Co-operative Day.
Co-operatives around the world celebrate the day in various fashions and each year the organizing institutions agree on a theme for the celebrations. The 2010 theme was Cooperative Enterprise Empowers Women, to coincide with the 15th anniversary of the Beijing Platform for Action.
Celebrated On: First Saturday in July
- 2020: July 4 (Saturday)
- 2021: July 3 (Sunday)
- 2022: July 2 (Monday)
First time: 1995
International Co-operative Day: Themes
- 2019: COOPS 4 DECENT WORK
- 2018: Sustainable consumption and production
- 2017: Co-operatives ensure no one is left behind
- 2016: Cooperatives: The power to act for a sustainable future.
- 2015: Choose co-operatives, choose equality
- 2014: Co-operative enterprises achieve sustainable development for all.
- 2013: Cooperative enterprise remains strong in time of crisis.
- 2012: Co-operative enterprises build a better world.
- 2011: Youth, the future of co-operative enterprise
- 2010: Cooperative Enterprise Empowers Women
- 2009: Driving Recovery through Co-operative Enterprise
- 2008: Confronting Climate Change through Co-operative Enterprise
- 2007: Co-operative Values and Principles for Corporate Social responsibility
- 2006: Peace-building through Co-operatives
- 2005: Microfinance is OUR business! Cooperating out of poverty
- 2004: Co-operatives for Fair Globalization: Creating Opportunities for All
- 2003: Co-operatives Make Development Happen!: The contribution of co-operatives to the United Nations Millennium Development Goals
- 2002: Society and Co-operatives: Concern for Community
- 2001: The Co-operative Advantage in the Third Millennium
- 2000: Co-operatives and Employment Promotion
- 1999: Public Policy and Co-operative Legislation
- 1998: Cooperatives and the Globalization of the Economy
- 1997: The Co-operative Contribution to World Food Security
- 1996: Co-operative Enterprise: Empowerment for People-centred Sustainable Development
- 1995: The ICA Centennial and the Next 100 Years of International Co-operation