An Australian judge has ordered KFC to pay AUD 8 million (USD 8.3 million) to the family of a Sydney girl left brain damaged after eating one of the fast food giantís chicken wraps.
Monika Samaanís family sued KFC, claiming the then-seven-year-old girl contracted salmonella poisoning from a KFC chicken wrap in 2005. Samaan was in a coma for months and left with brain damage.
New South Wales Supreme Court Justice Stephen Rothman ruled last week that KFC was responsible for the food poisoning. On Friday, he ordered KFC to pay AUD 8 million damages plus legal costs.
KFC denied responsibility and said it would appeal.
Samaanís lawyer, George Vlahakis, said the family was relieved the court battle was over, but is upset about KFCís plans to appeal.