Tansen Sangeet Mahavidyalaya (TSM) was founded by Late Shri R. S. Verma (Sangeet Acharya) (1890-1991). It was established in the year 1972 in Hapur, District Ghaziabad (UP). He was born in Vhora Kareka, in District Aligarh (U.P.). He was a musician by birth as he learned music under the tutelage of his father Late Shri Hoti Lal Verma, who was a resident of Persoli, Mathura (UP) and lived during 1856 – 1948. He performed at many places in India with his group named “Sangeet Mandli”.
Listening to Late Sh. R.S. Verma’s renditions was a soulful experience and made one feel nearer to God. He was a vocalist of great renown and had a great mastery over instruments like harmonium and tabla. Further, he organized skits, dramas and such similar stage shows and acted in these as well, along with his group members of ‘Sangeet Mandli’ This group was a name to reckon with in its days.
To perpetuate the rich and renowned legacy of music and performing arts, his son Sri M. L. Verma (born Jan. 1, 1937, Aligarh, U.P.), took charge of Tansen Sangeet Mahavidyalaya as the Sangeet Acharya. He too was a child artist and had classical music in flowing in his veins and built upon that advantage extremely well. Even today he is closely associated with Tansen Sangeet Mahavidyalaya as the Chairperson of the institute and the students are privileged to learn under his guidance. He actively provides guidance and imparts his great experiences for the multi-dimensional growth and progress of the TSM. He actively participates in all the important meetings, activities and events of the institute on a regular basis.
Tansen Sangeet Mahavidyalaya is a unit of Tansen Institute of Performing Arts (TIPA) Pvt. Ltd.. Besides other objectives it serves the social cause of making music and performing arts abundantly available across the country.
Sri M. L. Verma is carrying this institution ahead with the able assistance of his sons and grandsons. He has 4 sons, Madan Lal Verma, L. S. Verma, S. K. Verma and K. G. Verma. While the elder two sons have set up their own businesses, the younger two sons along with their spouses are active members of this institution. They are ably assisted by their nephews Mr. Ravi Kumar Verma, Mr. D. K. Verma and Mr. V. K. Verma.
So far, thousands of students have been trained and a good many of them have attained professional success in their career. To provide our students competitive opportunities in line with the tradition, TSM regularly organizes a number of stage shows and programmes, at the state and national levels by the name of “Sangeet Pratiyogita”. This series of stage performances started way back in 1975. Subsequently, it was held in 1979, 1984, 1989 and 1995. Then it was renamed and in 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2002 it was held as “Sangeet Pratibha Samaroh”. In 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007 it had another renaming as simply “Sangeet Samaroh” .
The primary objective of these programmes is to:
• Encourage and give real world feel to students.
• Remove the stage fright.
• In effect, the competition becomes a real life training process in itself - the stage etiquettes, how to perform on stage and those little niceties than can make or mar the entire performance, and many other things.
• Regular stage events grooms a person enough for a great performance sans any fear or reservations.
• The programmes are covered by the national and local media – both print and visual.
• This aids in not only promoting the institution but also showcases and propagates the students' talent as well.
Salient Features of Tansen Sangeet Mahavidyalaya
• Tansen Sangeet Mahavidyalaya is a Complete Music & Dance School that nurtures the inner creative being of students. At TSM music besides being a hobby class, we also teach and train students in music and performing arts to enable them to take it as a profession. The students can study for diploma and degree programs of the UGC accredited universities.
• We conduct stage shows, seminars, workshops every quarter to promote Indian performing arts and to showcase the skills & talents of our students which help them develop self-belief, confidence and professional acumen.
• Renowned Celebrities and other famous personalities from the music and performing arts field are regularly invited to our events and shows to enable our students to learn and get motivation from them.
• We have our own production house, wherein we offer suitable platform to our students so as to launch them into a career of music and performing arts as a career. Reality shows organized by us are telecast on high TRP TV Channels. We are producers of the Talent Hunt Show- AWAAZ which ran on ZEE JAGRAN for 32 episodes was a roaring success.
• We encourage the desirous students and offer them right platform to extend their hobby into a full fledged career.
• We admit students of any age group starting from 3+ yrs till the person is alive and is willing enough to learn.
• Our batch size is normally 5-7 students.
• One can join us from any day of the month and we ensure complete course delivery.
• We offer individual coaching concept at the price of group coaching.
• We offer flexible timings, especially for working professionals.
• Our faculties are knowledgeable, experienced and well trained in their respective fields.
• Our fee structure is very reasonable & highly competitive in the industry.
• We also offer Fee Waivers to the needy students.
• Our R&D team continually updates the curriculum so as to sync it with with current trends & uptodate developments in different fields of music and performing arts.
• We are affiliated with major UGC accredited Music Societies of India (Prayag Sangeet Samiti-Allahabad, Prachin Kala Kendra -Chandigarh). We also have an association with Trinity College- London, whose certifications are world renowned.
• We offer basic to advance level courses like Diploma, B.A., M.A and Doctoral level programs in Music and Performing Arts and all these are recognized nationally and globally.
• All our classrooms are fully air-conditioned with the appropriate accoustic characterstics.
• A very positive and enthusiastic response from our prospective franchisees has firmly positioned Tansen Sangeet Mahavidyalaya on course to pan India expansion in the next few years alone.
Tansen Sangeet Mahavidyalaya offers Diploma, Bachelor, Master Degree and Doctoral Level programmes in the following subjects:
• Classical Vocal (Shashtriya Sangeet)
• Light Classical Vocal (Sugam Sangeet)
• Rabindra Sangeet
• String Type: Sitar, Guitar, Violin, Tanpura, Mandolin, Banjo
• Brass Type: Flute, Mouth Organ (Harmonica)
• Key based: Piano, Keyboard, Harmonium
• Rhythm Type: Tabla, Congo, Bongo, Jazz Drum, Pakhawaj, Dholak
• Indian Classical Dance – Kathak, Bharatnatyam
• Folk Dance – Punjabi, Haryanvi, Rajasthani, Manipuri,Gujarati,etc.
• Light Dance – Western Dance, Freestyle Dance,
• Western Special Techniques: Salsa, Jazz, Hip-hop, Cha-Cha-Cha, Belle, Ballroom, Rock n Roll, Rap
• Water Painting
• Oil Painting
• Commercial art