Several events are organised in various engineering colleges and technical institutes to mark the occasion. Lectures, competitions, quizzes, presentations and interactive sessions on different aspects of science are organized all over the planet. The day is important for scientists, engineers, planners and all others engaged in governance and nation building.
The companies and individual are awarded with National Technology Awards for adopting new technologies by the president of India. The ministry of science and technology coordinate different events.
5 Things You Must Know About National Technology Day
Since 1999, May 11 is celebrated as National Technology Day to mark India’s technological advancements. President Pranab Mukherjee will be attending the National Technology Day celebrations in New Delhi this year, along with the Union Minister for Science and Technology Dr Harsh Vardhan.
Here are a few things you need to know about this day.
- On May 11, 1998, India detonated three nuclear bombs in the Indian Army’s Pokhran Test Range.
Two days later, on May 13, 1998, two more nuclear bombs were tested, after which then Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee declared India a full fledged nuclear state. This operation was called ‘Operation Shakti’ and it made India the 6th country to join the nuclear club.
- Hansa 3, India’s first indigenous aircraft was first tested on the same day in 1998 in Bangalore.
Hansa 3 was the first of its kind two-seater general aviation plane used for flight training and personal flying.
- Successful test firing of Trishul, a short range missile made in India, was also done on the same day.
The missile was developed as a part of the Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme by the Defence Research and Development Organisation.
- Every year, on this day, the Technology Development Board of India awards various individuals with national awards for their contribution to indigenous technology.
- This year’s theme for National Technology Day celebrations in New Delhi is ‘Technology Enablers of Startup India’.