Why Do We Celebrate and Purposes of Celebrating International Volunteer Day
There are many important objectives of celebrating the international volunteer day for the economic and social development. Some of the purposes are mentioned below:
- International volunteer day is celebrated every year to make the living of human being better worldwide by promoting the peace and human development.
- International volunteer day is celebrated to recognize the contributions of online volunteers towards the achievement of the MDGs.
- To demonstrate their volunteering experiences, excellent practices and how they get strengthened their capacities of work for promoting the peace and human development by their skills and knowledge through the Internet.
- To inspire and mobilize the general public globally through the experiences of volunteers engaged in harmony and human progress activities on the Internet.
- To encourage other volunteering organizations to work jointly and make their endeavors strong.
- To appreciate the winning individual volunteer or volunteering organizations to get nominated for the UNV online volunteering award.
- It targets to overcome the poverty, diseases, illiteracy, hunger, environmental deprivation and intolerance against the women.
- To remove the poverty, achieve the widespread primary education, promote gender equality, authorize women, reduce the child death rate, improve the maternal health, prevent the spread of HIV/AIDS, malaria, dengue or other foremost diseases as well as to make sure the environmental sustainability.
How do we celebrate – International Volunteer Day for Economic and Social Development
International volunteer day celebration focuses on increasing the awareness among people and government organizations for their voluntary contributions. Stimulate the people, businesses, nonprofit organizations and etc to put forward their services as a volunteer through the various activities such as:
- Parades, marches and rallies are organized for increasing the awareness among people worldwide.
- Award ceremony organized for winner volunteers for appreciating their significant involvement to their communities.
- Varieties of competitions and events are organized for the Volunteers.
- Time donation campaign involves people to pledge for the voluntary services to the precise projects.
- Voluntary programs launched by the Companies as part of their business responsibility.
Theme of International Volunteer Day
- Theme of 2012 was “Celebrate our commitment and hope for a better world”
- Theme of 2014 was “People’s Participation. Make change happen, volunteer!”
- Theme of 2015 was “The world is changing. Are you? Volunteer!”