The origin of Republic day goes back to pre-independence days of 1929, when the Indian National Congress during its Lahore session under the President ship of Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru passed a resolution declaring “Complete Independence” as the goal of the nation and decided to celebrate 26th January every year as the Independence day throughout the length and breadth of the country.
From then on till the dawn of independence on Aug. 1947, the nation celebrated 26th January as Independence Day. Later, when India wanted a day to mark its official birth 26th January, the independence day of the pre-independence days was chosen. On this day, 26th January 1950 Indian constitution came into force and India was proclaimed to be a sovereign, democratic and a republic’
Since then 26th January every year has been celebrated as the Republic day in our country. A republic is a state, where the head of the state is elected and that the office is not hereditary.
Republic day is a national festival celebrated all over India with great pomp and grandeur. The main Republic day celebration takes place in New Delhi, the capital of India. A grand Republic day parade is organised on this day. A special guest, normally a high foreign dignitary is invited well in advance to be the chief guest for the function.
The ceremony begins in the morning of 26th January with the laying of a wreath at the Amar Jawan Jyothi at the India Gate by the Prime Minister, as a mark of gratitude to the martyrs who have laid down their lives for the country. At exactly 8.00 a.m. the president reaches the Rajpath along with the Chief Guest. They are welcomed by the Prime Minister and the defence Minister.
On reaching the specially erected podium, the president unfurls the national flag. The Republic day parade begins soon after this. The march is led by heroes of war, the members of armed forces who have received gallantry awards followed by the young boys and girls who have won National Bravery Awards for that year.
Soldiers from different wings of the armed forces, units of paramilitary and police forces march to the tune of the military band. The President takes the salute. A colorful march-past by helicopters and aeroplanes makes the ceremony most spectacular. Folk dances by cultural troupes and various performances are put up by school children to keep the audience spellbound.
The tableaux of states depicting the cultural wonders of the states follow the school children. The procession lasts for several hours and finally ends up at Red Fort. Hundreds of people from far off places come to watch the charming show of military might and national glory.
In the evening, the Raisina Hill, where the Rashtrapati Bhavan is situated is illuminated, presenting a glittering sight. The Republic Day celebrations last three days and come to an end on the evening of 28th January with the Beating of the Retreat ceremony. It is an impressive ceremony put up by our armed forces. Grand Republic day celebrations are also organised in various state capitals, district headquarters and at the Block and Panchayat levels which are attended by the general public.
Republic day marks the birth of our nation. It is a great day for all of us. It is a day of remembrance, thanksgiving, and rejoicing. It is a day to remember and keep alive the fond memories of national heroes who have shed their blood for the freedom of our nation.
It is also a day of national pledge when we decided to make our country, sovereign, democratic, and republic. A great deal more remains to be done, to achieve this pledge. It is up to you and me to redeem this pledge and make our nation truly democratic and republic.
Who is the Chief Guest on Republic Day Of India 2020
“President Jair Bolsonaro”, the current President of Brazil will be the Chief Guest on 71st Republic Day of India 2019.
Brazilian President Jair Messias Bolsonaro will arrive in New Delhi on 24th January to attend the 71st Republic Day celebrations as the chief guest, in response to an invitation seen as a recognition of the importance India attaches to ties with one of the largest economies in South America as well as the region in general.
This will be the third time that India has invited a Brazilian leader as the chief guest at the country’s Republic Day event. New Delhi had invited Fernando Henrique Cardoso for the celebrations in 1996, and hosted Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva as guest of honour in 2004.
A statement from India’s foreign ministry on Tuesday said Bolsanaro will be accompanied by seven ministers, besides the chairman of Brazil-India Friendship Group in Brazilian Parliament, senior officials and a large business delegation.
What is special on Indian Republic Day 2020
We have given here some points on what are special activities this year on Indian Republic Day 2020:
- 2019 celebration will be special as this year will mark the 150th birth anniversary of ‘Father of the Nation’. Around 17 tableaux from states / Union Territories and 6 from various ministries will be displayed in the parade based on the theme ‘Gandhi’.
- This year at Rajpath parade, a tableau will also showcase ‘Mahatma Gandhi Kashi Vidyapeeth’ which is a historical educational institution situated in Varanasi. The tableau will also display the glory of Ghats, Buddhist Monks, rituals and ancient temples of Varanasi.
- The full dress rehearsal of the parade will be conducted on 23rd January, Wednesday at Rajpath. The parade will start at 09:50 AM from Vijay Chowk and continue till Red Fort. There will be no traffic allowed on 22nd January from 06:00 PM at Rajpath till the parade gets over.
- India Gate will remain closed on 23rd January from 09:00 AM onwards on account of full dress rehearsal. The security in the state has been beefed up for the Republic Day celebration and 30 face recognition cameras and 250 CCTV have been installed at various sites to keep a vigil on the event.
- The honorable delegates of Pravasi Bharatiya Divas 2019 (to be held in Varanasi from 21st to 23rd January 2019) will also be visiting Rajpath to witness the grandeur of 70th Indian Republic Day celebrations.
- Prime Minister will inaugurate the ‘National War Memorial’ near India Gate on the eve of Republic Day to honour the soldiers who sacrificed their lives for the nation. IAF will carry out a special fly-past with three helicopters and SU 30 jets on the occasion.
- This year, Indian Air Force will be flying an aircraft which will run by blended bio-fuel on the Republic Day 2019 fly-past with 10 percent of bio-fuel in it. The aircraft will fly over Rajpath with a ‘V’ shape formation resembling ‘Victory’ sign.
- Republic Day Parade 2019 will also witness the inclusion of M777 Howitzer and K9 Vajra, the self propelled gun which are the latest artillery inducted in the Indian Army. T-90 tanks, SU-30, MIG 29, Jaguar aircraft will also be major attraction of the parade.
- This year one of the contingents of IAF will march on the tune of astronaut in the parade at Rajpath and the theme for the IAF tableau this year will be ‘Indian Air Force: Safeguarding Indian Skies’.
- It will be the first time that a woman officer would be leading the Army Services Corps in the 2019 Republic Day parade. The Daredevils Motorcycle Team will also include a women officer in their team this year.
- It will be the first time in history that all women contingent of Assam Rifles, which is one of the oldest paramilitary forces of India, will take part in the Republic Day parade this year. CISF will display its tableau in the parade after 11 years.
- It will be the first time that winners of National Bravery Awards might not be able to join the parade at Rajpath as the NGO giving the awards has allegations of financial integrity. However the winners of Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar will get the chance to walk at Rajpath parade.
- Republic Day 2019 Parade Tickets are available from 07th January to 25th January and from 27th January to 28th January for Beating Retreat ceremony at various locations and sales counters in Delhi.
Republic Day 2019 Preparations / Celebrations in the States
- States have geared up for the full fledged preparations of Republic Day 2019 celebrations and the schools and colleges are in full swing to celebrate the day with enthusiasm and patriotism.
- Uttar Pradesh government would be releasing around 1500 prisoners who are aged or suffering from serious illness on the occasion of Republic Day 2019 from the jails of Agra, Bareilly, Fatehgarh, Naini and Varanasi.
- The 2019 Republic Day will also witness the stunt performances by 31 members ‘Dare Devils’ team of J & K Police on 41 motorcycles which will be held at University of Jammu on 26th January 2019.
- West Bengal will showcase its tableau based on ‘Gandhiji in Santiniketan and Beliaghata’ in this year’s Republic Day parade and Delhi tableau will depict the time Mahatma Gandhi’s spent in Delhi.
- Punjab will showcase its tableau at Rajpath about the history of Jallianwala Bagh. ‘Peace Within’ will be the theme of Arunachal Pradesh tableau showing Gandhi’s ideologies.
- Uttrakhand will be depicting the tableau of ‘Anasakti Ashram’, Kosani in Uttrakhand in the Rajpath parade, where Mahatma Gandhi spent a considerable amount of time in 1929 and which he said as the ‘Switzerland of India’.
- Around 16 departments of Bihar government will showcase their tableaux in the state Republic Day celebration which will take place at Gandhi Maidan, Patna.
- The Annual Republic Day Flower show at Lal Bagh, Bangalore will pay tribute to Mahatma Gandhi by making sculptures related to Gandhi, using around 7 lakhs flowers.
- The Republic Day Parade in Lucknow will also display the military might of Armed Forces which will include T-90 Tanks, Bhishm Tanks, Anti Tank Guided Missiles, Automatic Grenade Launchers etc.