Loss of hair is something which both men and women fear equally. More so men, as baldness is something which is very common in the male gender and very rare among the females. What causes thinning hair? Can hair loss be prevented? Lets find this out, by first of all knowing about the thinning hair causes.
Thinning Hair Causes in Women
• As a woman gets older, her hair can become thin if the new hair stop growing on her scalp.
• During menopause too, when a woman acquires middle age, many suffer from hair loss.
• Taking an unhealthy diet, resulting in iron or vitamin deficiency, is another of the hair loss causes in women.
• If the woman is taking certain drugs or is under some treatments such as chemotherapy, then she can suffer hair loss as one of the side effects for the same.
• Certain diseases and health conditions such as thyroid problems, are one of the thinning hair causes too.
• Pregnancy and childbirth, which cause lots of hormonal changes in the body of the woman, can cause thinning of hair in them.
Thinning Hair Causes in Men
• Thinning hair or hair loss in men could be due to hereditary reasons.
• Researches have shown links between stress and male balding. Anxiety, stress and depression can cause hair loss in men even when they are still in their twenties.
• Just like in women, poor diet is a major thinning hair causes in men too.
• Any severe illness or certain drugs to treat that illness can cause hair loss in men.
• Alopecia, a medical condition in which hair is lost in patches from different parts of the body, usually the scalp, is another of the thinning hair causes in men. Androgenetic alopecia, although, is found in both men and women, yet men are known to suffer from it more.
How to Prevent Hair Loss
Thinning of hair can indeed be prevented, only if proper hair care and precautions are taken. To prevent hair loss it is very important to eat a healthy, well balanced diet, which is especially rich in proteins. This is because the hair itself is made up of proteins. So eating protein rich food such as meat, cheese, fish, etc., is mandatory to maintain the health of the hair. Also, iron deficiency, which affects women a lot during pregnancy, is also one of the primary causes of hair loss in them. So eating iron rich foods, such as clams, chicken liver, pork liver, beans and lentils, helps in preventing thinning hair too.
Massaging the head on a weekly basis, with oils, increases the blood flow in the scalp, so it should be done regularly to prevent hair loss. For massaging the hair and the scalp essential oils such as olive oil, lavender oil, rosemary oil and even coconut oil can be used.
For men especially, staying away from stress and depression by doing yoga, regular exercises or aromatherapy, will help in preventing baldness to a great extent. Hair loss caused due to intake of certain drugs or medication, can be prevented by consulting the doctor and if possible, asking him to change the medicine or the treatment, which is causing hair loss in the person.
Besides this, refraining from using chemicals on the hair, by avoiding hair dyes, as well as avoiding various hair treatments offered by salons such as hair straightening or perming which involve usage of electric current on hair, can prevent damage of the hair to a great extent too.
There is nothing much you can do about thinning hair causes such as hereditary balding. But hair loss due to other reasons is avoidable. As far as alopecia is concerned, there are various medical treatments available for treating it, such as application of topical steroid creams, immunotherapy and taking steroid injections. If the thinning hair and hair loss still continues, despite these precautions and treatments, then having a hair transplant is the only option left.