Rajendra Kandalgaonkar — Creative innovation in Hindustani Classical music has been the key to Rajendra Kandalgaonkar’s growth as an artist. Moving into the depths of Raga, he understands and responds to the emotional environment and the nature of the Raga. As he evokes the “alaap” of raga he builds a rapport with his audience. With original thought in “layakari” and “taans”, he performs with both the expected and unexpected surprises. This gives his singing a distinct and very attractive flavour.
A strong groundwork in music through training Rajendra Kandalgaonkar has been trained by some of the most renowned Gurus. At the young age of 7 he began his basic training in vocal music from Pandit Vishnu A Ghag, of the Gwalior Gharana. This spanned an intensive 18 years, from 1967 to ‘84.
Since 1980, he has the good fortune of being trained by Pandit Bhimsen Joshi, of the Kirana Gharana. matching this is his brilliant academic record as a formal student of music. He has topped the “Sanget Alankar” in 1978-79,in the Akhil Bhartiya Gandharva Mahavidyalaya Mandal, Miraj.
Awards and Recognitions
- The Title of “SURMANI” by Sur Singer Samsad
- Fellowship by the State of Maharashtra in 1980-81
- Fellowship from HRD Ministry, Dept. of Culture in 1988-89
Rajendra Kandalgaonkar is a reputed teacher of music. He has performed at many well known concerts all over India, USA, Canada, with regular performances in Doordarshan and AIR.
He has also been conferred the highest “A” grade for Indian Vocal Music by AIR and Natya Sangeet (Marathi Stage Music).
Some Programs at Doordarshan and Akashvani
- Natya Sangeet – Mumbai Doordarshan
- Classical Music Recital – Mumbai
- Classical Music Recital – Goa Doordarshan
- Tuesday Night National concerts Akashvani, New Delhi
- Classical Music from Sangli, Gulbarga, Aurangabad, Solapur, Baroda
Concerts and Festivals
- Ganvardhan, Pune
- Savai Gandharva, Kundgol
- Sur Singr Samsad, Mumbai
- Vile Parle Music Circle
- Festival by ONGC, Baroda
- Pune Festival
- Shivanand Swami Sangeet Pratisthan, Mumbai
- Bhubaneswar Music Circle
- Ambejogai, Vidharbha
- Jodhpur (Rajastthan)
- Alladiya khan Smriti Samaroh, Mumbai
- Yashwant Rao Chavan Pratisthan, Mumbai
Mr. Rajendra visited USA and Canada recently from 13th July 2003 to 17th July 2003 and his concerts have been highly appreciated by the audiences there. His CD is very popular among Music Lovers of India, USA and Canada.
Abroad Concerts (2003)
- ICMS Music Circle (Atlanta, USA)
- “RAGAMALA” (Seattal, USA)
- Maharashtra Mandal (Pittsburgh, USA)
- Marathi Vishwa (New Jersey, USA)
- Marathi Bhashik Mandal (Toronta, Canada)
- Hindustani Sangeet Mandal (Ottawa, Canada)