Height: 5′ 8″ (1.73 m)
Debut Film: “Dil Bhi Tera, Hum Bhi Tere”
Film Awards: Filmfare Life Time Achievement Award
Dharmendra Biography – Bollywood Actor Film Career
Film star Dharmendra was born at Phagwara in Punjab. He was first noticed in a Filmfare spot- the- talent contest and was signed by Arjun Hingorani for the film “Dil Bhi Tera, Hum Bhi Tere”. At the start of his career Dharmendra was usually cast as a romantic hero. His first major hit film was “Phool Aur Patthar”. Dharmendra also worked in comedy films like “Chupke Chupke”, a masterpiece from Hrishikesh Mukherjee. When action movies became popular in 1970’s he starred as action hero in many such films. Dharmendra’s most memorable role as action hero was in the blockbuster film “Sholay” where he was teamed with Amitabh Bachchan.
Apart from Amitabh Bachchan, no other film star can claim to be equally good in comedy and action as Dharmendra. Dharmendra also ventured into film production and launched his sons Sunny Deol in “Betaab” and Bobby Deol in “Barsaat” as well as his nephew Abhay Deol in “Socha Na Tha”. After a few years hiatus from acting since the early 2000s he is reappearing in films as character actor. His latest films “Metro” and “Apne” have been successful at the box office. Dharmendra also played a Villainious role in his recent released film “Johnny Gaddar”. Dharmendra has married Bollywood actress Hema Malini after converting to Islam. He had to change his religion because he was already married to Prakash Kaur and according to Hindu marriage act one can not marry any other woman till
the first wife is alive.
Dharmendra Biography – Bollywood Actor Film Career: Filmography
Om Shanti Om, Johnny Gaddaar, Apne, Metro, Kis Kis Ki Kismat, Hum Kaun Hai?, Kaise Kahoon Ke Pyaar Hai, Bhai Thakur, Jallad No. 1 , Meri Jung Ka Elaan, Sultaan, Pyaar Kiya To Darna Kya, Dharma Karma, Loha Mafia, Aatank, Himmatvar, Return of Jewel Thief, Smuggler, Taaqat, Policewala Gunda, Kundan, Dushman Zamana, Kal Ki Awaz, Humlaa, Tehelka, Virodhi, Paap Ki Aandhi, Kohraam, Trinetra, Humse Na Takrana, Pyaar Ka Karz, Dada, Batwara, Paap Ko Jalaa Kar Raakh Kar Doonga, Soorma Bhopali, Zalzala, Sunny, Insaaf Ka Tarazu, Alibaba Aur 40 Chor, The Burning Train, Ram Balram, Dream Girl, Sholay, Chupke Chupke, Dost, Pocketmaar, Yaadon Ki Baaraat, Seeta Aur Geeta, Mera Gaon Mera Desh, Aankhen, Baazi, Phool Aur Patthar, Ayee Milan Ki Bela, Soorat Aur Seerat, Boy Friend, Shola Aur Shabnam and Dil Bhi Tera Hum Bhi Tere.
Dharmendra Biography – Bollywood Actor Film Career: Trivia
- Dharmendra is a member of Lok Sabha, he has won election from Bikaner constituency of Rajasthan on BJP ticket.
- He never won Filmfare Best Actor Award throughout his film career.
- He was severely criticized for his election speech that he should be elected Dictator Perpetuus to teach basic etiquette that democracy requires.
- Dharmendra has two daughters, Esha Deol and Ahana Deol, from his second wife Hema Malini.
- Dharmendra has gone on record saying that he did not believe that Mumbai film industry is a place suitable for girls when her daughter Esha decided to enter in films.
- He is the only actor to have starred with almost all the Kapoor members except Kareena Kapoor and Prithviraj Kapoor.