Bipasha Basu – Early life
Bipasha is the second of three daughters in her family. Her family consists of her mother, her father, her elder sister Bidisha, and her younger sister Bijoyeta. She was born in New Delhi. Later her family moved to Kolkata where she studied for a business degree. In an interview, she said that she had come into modeling and acting “quite by accident”. She had planned to learn chartered accountancy or study medicine. She said that she dropped the idea of doing medical studies because she fainted when attempting to dissect rats.
Bipasha Basu – Career
Bipasha won the Ford Supermodel of the World contest at the age of seventeen; she was also named Tulips Miss Super Vivacious. She worked as a model before she was signed for her first film.
Of late, many Indian models have turned from modeling to acting; Bipasha has been one of the most successful model-turned-actresses.
Bipasha’s debut film Ajnabee (2001) was fairly successful and she was soon signed for other movies. She attracted attention with her roles in Raaz (2002) and Jism (2003). Jism featured more mature content than had previously been customary in Bollywood; it was a success and Bipasha was afterwards marketed as a sex symbol. In 2005, she had a boundary-pushing role in the successful film No Entry. She later appeared in the 2006 film Phir Hera Pheri, which did well at the box office. Basu was the female lead in Corporate, she received much acclaim for her performance.
Dhoom 2 is her latest release with Yash Raj Films, which was a huge hit overseas and in India. She has also appeared in music videos, such as Tu Kab Ye Janegi… for Sonu Nigam’s album, Kismat and in Jay Sean’s Stolen.
Bipasha Basu – Awards & Nominations
Filmfare Awards won
- 2001: Filmfare Awards, Filmfare Best Debut Award for Ajnabee
- 2001: Filmfare Awards, Filmfare Lux New Face Award for Ajnabee
Filmfare Awards nominated
- 2002: Filmfare Best Actress Award for Raaz
- 2003: Filmfare Best Villain Award for Jism
Other Awards Won
- 2003: Zee Cine Awards, Zee Cine Award Dynamic Duo for Raaz (shared with Dino Morea)
- 2006: Global Indian Film Awards, Best Actress for Corporate
- 2006: Global Indian Film Awards, Best Actor Critics (Female) for Corporate
Other Awards nominated
- 2006: Indian Style Diva of the Year
- 2006: Ranked 2 in the “Eastern Eye” for the sexiest woman in Asia