Toe nail fungus is the result of infection caused by tiny micro-organisms. Also known as Onychomycosis, the fungi grows in the warm and moist fingernails. As the fungi growth increases, it makes the nails hard and brittle and also leads to discoloration. Though toe nail fungus is not painful in the initial stages, it starts hurting later on. Some of the causes of toe nail fungus are a break in the nail, tight-fitting shoes, multiple small cuts in the skin and damp shoes and socks. The fungus causes the toenails to get flaked, brittle and chipped. They also start emitting a bad smell. However, the fungus can be treated at home, using certain home remedies, some of which have been mentioned below.
Home Remedy For Toe Nail Fungus
• Tea tree oil is effective in treating toe nail fungus. Dip a cotton ball in the oil and rub the toe nail two times a day - once in the morning and the second time while going to bed at night.
• Listerine mouthwash is helpful in treating toe nail fungus. Soak your toes in the mouthwash for about 20 minutes. Its medicinal properties would help control the fungal growth.
• Fill a bucket with equal proportion of water and natural apple cider vinegar. Soak your feet in the bucket for 15 to 20 minutes. Thereafter, dry your toenails thoroughly.
• Mix equal amounts of lavender oil and tea tree oil. Soak a cotton ball in this mixture and dab the toe nail with it, 2 to 3 times in a day. This would be effective in treating toe nail fungus.
• In a tsp of olive oil, add 2 drops of oregano essential oil. Apply this mixture on the affected area. It would help provide relief from toe nail fungus.
• Fill a bucket with equal proportion of water and vinegar. Soak your feet in this combination for 20 minutes. Now, dry the toes with a towel and wipe them with a super absorbent paper. Repeat the process two times a day.
• Another helpful home remedy for toe nail fungus would be to soak the feet in rubbing alcohol, for about 20 minutes.
• Soak your feet in a tub filled with equal proportions of water and Hydrogen Peroxide (3%), for about 15 minutes. After this, dry the feet completely.
• Include lots of probiotics food, such as yogurt and kefir, in your diet. This would help your body get rid of the fungus.
• Make a paste with turmeric powder and water. Apply this paste on your toe nail. Rinse it off when it dries and then properly dry your feet.
• Peel an onion and cut it into slices. Rub the affected toenail with the onion slices for sometime. This is an effective way to treat the fungal infection.
• Another effective home remedy would be to soak a cotton ball in concentrated lime juice. Rub the cotton on the affected toenail.
• It is advisable to wash the feet properly after visiting public places, like swimming pools, spas, showers and locker rooms.
• Avoid sharing towels, washcloths, shoes or any other personal items of people who have already contracted this disease.