Cataract is an eye disease which causes blurred vision. It results in the clouding of the crystalline lens of the eye, placed at the back of the iris, or in its envelope. The lens can suffer from slight to complete opacity, blocking the passage of light. A person suffering from cataract cannot see clearly. As the lens becomes opaque, it hampers the entrance of light which distorts the visibility. Cataract is mainly caused due to three factors - deterioration in the nutrition of the lens, deposits of acids and salts between the lens fibers, and disintegration of lens fibers. Aging, diabetes, eye injury and down-syndrome are some of the other causes of this disease. You can treat cataract naturally also, provided you know the correct home remedies for the same, some of which have been mentioned below.
Home Remedies For Cataract
• The most popular and efficient remedy for cataract would be to have carrots. Eat raw carrots regularly and also consume fresh carrot juice, twice a day.
• Another beneficial home remedy for cataract comprises of the extract or juice of pumpkin flowers. Apply this juice on the eyelids, two times a day, and keep on for fifteen minutes duration.
• Putting a few drops of honey into the eyes would act favorably in curing cataract.
• Aniseed is also helpful in treating cataract. Consume 6 grams of aniseed daily, in the morning as well as evening. For better results, mix equal amount of aniseed and coriander powder. Add a little brown sugar to the mixture. Eat 12 grams of this mixture, twice per day.
• An effective home remedy for cataract would comprise of almonds and pepper. Grind 7 almond kernels, along with ½ gram of pepper, in water and consume. Sugar candy can also be added to the mixture.
• A combination of cardamom and milk is said to be healthy for eyes. Grind 2 pieces of cardamom and put them in a glass of milk. Boil and bring it down to lukewarm temperature. Consume this milk, every night.
• Soak 3 to 4 almonds in 2 to 3 tbsp of milk and keep it overnight. In the morning, add sandalwood to this mixture. Apply this on the eyelids. It would reduce the redness associated with cataract.
• Include 2-3 cloves of garlic to your everyday diet, as garlic is known to cleanse the crystalline lens of the eye.
• Include oranges and grapes in your diet, as they help in healing the eye and curing cataract.
• Eat raw salads. Dressing them with olive oil and lemon juice would add to their benefit.
• Consumption of spinach, cauliflower, turnips, fenugreek, drum sticks, few nuts, soaked raisins, figs and dates is considered to be good for cataract.